2021’s Happiest States in America
With 4 in 10 adults having reported symptoms of anxiety or depressive disorder during the COVID-19 pandemic, the personal-finance website today released its report on 2021’s Happiest States in America, as well as accompanying videos and expert commentary.
To determine where Americans have the highest satisfaction with life, WalletHub compared the 50 states across 31 key indicators of happiness. The data set ranges from the depression rate and the positive COVID-19 testing rate to income growth and the unemployment rate.
Happiest States In America
5. North Dakota
6. South Dakota
9. New Jersey
18. New York
19. New Hampshire
Best vs. Worst
- New Jersey has the lowest share of adult depression, 11.66 percent, which is 2.6 times lower than in West Virginia, the state with the highest at 30.20 percent.
- New York and New Jersey have the fewest suicides (per 100,000 residents), 8, which is 3.6 times fewer than in Wyoming, the state with the most at 29.
- North Dakota has the lowest long-term unemployment rate, 13.10 percent, which is 3.4 times lower than in New Mexico, the state with the highest at 44.90 percent.
- Utah has the highest volunteer rate, 51.00 percent, which is 2.2 times higher than in Florida, the state where the rate is the lowest at 22.80 percent.
- Utah has the lowest separation and divorce rate, 15.74 percent, which is 1.7 times lower than in Nevada, the state with the highest at 26.07 percent.