There’s nothing like taking to the open road during summer in America. Road trips have always been one of the best ways to travel cross-country.
With a number of countries around the world to ban all petrol and diesel cars on the road, in recent years there has been a surge in the number of electric vehicles (EVs) being sold. With EVs being a more environmentally-friendly and cost-efficient choice, they’re becoming the norm—so comparethemarket.com have put together a list of the best road trips for EV drivers.
- The United States, Germany, and the United Kingdom top the table for countries with most charging locations and stations, with eight European countries featuring in the top ten overall.
- Comparethemarket.com reveals the best road trips for electric vehicles (EVs) across Africa, Asia, Europe, and North America.
- The Tesla Model S 100D Dual Motor AWD was found to be the best EV for the highest range, with the Volkswagen e-Up! and Renault Zoe R110 ZE 40 having the shortest charging speeds.
- Research reveals the Hyundai Ioniq Electric as the EV to give you one of the best ranges for cost per mile and charging time.
Best road trips for EVs
A popular bucket list feature, a road trip is a great way to explore without having to worry about public transport – it also means you get to see the world at your own pace. An iconic way to travel the world, more people are becoming self-conscious about the environment and their carbon footprint, and with governments around the world pledging to ban petrol and diesel cars, EVs are the way to go.
With the increasing demand for EVs and charging stations, here is a look at some of the best road trips for EV drivers:
1. Africa – South Africa is known for its cultural diversity and some of the world’s most beautiful landscapes, taking a road trip from Cape Town to Port Elizabeth will offer you stunning sights of Jeffreys Bay, Knysna, and Mossel Bay. Spanning 465 miles, it will take around eight hours to complete, and your EV will need around two charges with ten charging locations available along the route.
2. Asia – Explore Japan from the comfort of your car, along with the incredible views Osaka to Tokyo will have to offer. Taking around six hours to complete, enjoy views of a modern metropolis from neon lights to skyscrapers, and natural wonders such as Mount Asama. There are 250 charging locations along the route, and this road trip only requires one charge.
3. Europe – With over nine different road trips to take in Europe, Porto to Lisbon will be a vibrant and memorable trip – offering the best sights, food and coasts Portugal has to offer. Enjoy 195 miles of driving through one of Europe’s most charismatic cities, stopping in Coimbra and Alhandra along the way – taking less than three hours to complete. With 189 charging stations along the route, you’ll have plenty of choice for the one charge needed to complete this trip.
4. North America – No list is complete without the famous American road trip, so enjoy the iconic route of Chicago to Los Angeles without worrying about your EV running out of power. With the U.S. taking the lead with the number of charging stations and locations overall – this route has around 137, and you’ll need around four charges to complete the trip. One of the longer road trips on the list, this route will take around 29 hours to complete – but you’ll get to see some notable locations along the way, including Memphis and Mississippi.
Who are the world leaders when it comes to electric vehicles? Well, the United States takes the lead with over 17,680 charging locations and 29,252 charging stations. Also, home to the renowned automotive and electric car brand, Tesla, the country has seen a surge in the number of EV sales.
Whilst across the pond takes the lead on the number of stations, Europe is actually the world leader for EVs with eight countries featuring in the top ten overall. Germany has over 11,802 charging locations and 28,967 stations, with the United Kingdom following behind with 6,959 charging locations and 10,553 stations.
For more information on the best road trips for electric vehicles or to see the full list.