When we think citrus, oranges are likely the first fruit to come to mind. But don’t forget about lemons, limes, and grapefruit. Here are five reasons you should be eating more citrus right now!
1. Vitamin C Can Put A Hold On That Cold
Vitamin C from citrus (or any source for that matter) will not prevent a cold, but as much as 500 mg per day has been shown to cut the duration of a cold down by as much as half.
2. Antioxidants Promote Heart Health
Lemons and limes, in particular, contain unique compounds that are believed to keep the heart in tip top shape when consumed raw. That means, juicing or using the zest to finish dishes like soups and salads.
3. Grapefruit Can Help Bulk Up To Lose Weight
When it comes to weight loss, grapefruit has been touted for years to aid the process (remember the popular grapefruit diet?). The “secret” to success has more to do with the high water and fiber content as well as the low-calorie count. A large grapefruit comes in at under 100 calories. If you choose the sweeter, milder Ruby Red variety, you won’t even need to add a sweetener, so it’s a great breakfast fruit or afternoon energy-boosting snack.
4. Special Nutrients Can Help Control Cholesterol
Grapefruit contains a compound that research shows can halt production of cholesterol by the liver. While research is ongoing, preliminary studies show it’s the “bad” cholesterol (LDL) the compound acts to inhibit. The drop in numbers of bad cholesterol is small, but over time can be promising for those needing to watch their LDL numbers.
5. Oranges Can Fight Inflammation
Vitamin C is the primary antioxidant in the body. In addition to boosting immunity, this water-soluble vitamin also combats damaging free radicals. Free radical damage causes the body to put up a fight, which can lead to inflammation. Ongoing research shows a reduction in inflammatory markers in the blood of individuals who consumed orange juice as part of the daily food intake.
All of these are full of vitamin C and other antioxidants that can really boost your health.
- 9 Things to Know About Fitness Technology Tools - July 21, 2017
- 2017’s Best for Staycations - July 17, 2017
- Billie Ellish Returns With New Single, Debut EP Release, and Headlining Tour - July 15, 2017
- Preparation = COINS! IshContent Will Tell You How - July 11, 2017
- Cooking with Legendary Foodie JN - July 9, 2017