Crush Your Weight Loss Goals With A Meal-Replacement Shake
Weight management is an important element of an active and healthy lifestyle.
Of course, you’re more than a number on a scale, but exploring new hiking trails, keeping up with energized kids, and finding your yoga flow are all easier when you have a balanced BMI (body mass index).
Whether you’re aiming to lose a few pounds or maintain a healthy weight, meal-replacement shakes are a tasty and convenient way to achieve your goals and live your best life. Here are three tips to help you shake things up to tackle your weight-loss goals.
1. You’re in Control
If eating the right foods (and proper serving size) was easy, you wouldn’t be reading this blog. Luckily, mindful eating is only a shake away. The best meal-replacement shakes take the guesswork out of meal prep with glanceable nutrition labels. Keep in mind the macronutrient ratios of your shake, which consist of protein, carbohydrates, and fat, plus any micronutrients it may contain, like essential vitamins and minerals.
Meal-replacement shakes also simplify portion control. Skip the food prep scale and use a measuring spoon (if a scoop isn’t included with your shake base). And many shaker bottles have notches on the exterior indicating liters for your liquids.
2. Eating On the Go
In a perfect world, you’d have plenty of time to cook fresh, whole-food ingredients for every meal. But the real world often takes workarounds—scrounging up change for the vending machine, making a trip through the fast-food drive-thru, or skipping a meal altogether. Intermittent fasting has its benefits and should be part of your meal plan, not a silver lining as a result of poor planning.
A powdered meal-replacement shake is easily portable. All you need is a shaker bottle and access to water or milk. Take your shake anywhere, and mix it up when it’s time to eat.
3. Beat the Bloat
Many meal-replacement shakes contain fibre, which is incredible for your gut microbiome—the miniature rainforest full of friendly bacteria that thrive in your belly. Fibre also takes longer to move through your digestive tract, making you feel fuller, longer. It’s a great way to prevent overheating, one of the easiest ways to upset your stomach and end up feeling bloated for the remainder of the day.
If snacking is holding you back from reaching your weight-loss goals, go for a walk at the times you’re most likely to munch. Sunshine will do wonders for your mental well-being, and you’ll feel refreshed and ready to finish your day.
4. Upgrade Your Meal-Replacement Shake
Part of the meal-replacement shake appeal is how easy they are to make. But add a blender to the mix, and you can enjoy a wide spectrum of flavors and textures—and even sneak in a vegetable or two. Dark, leafy greens, like spinach, go well in any shake. Blend your favorite fruits with a vanilla shake mix for a nice, citrusy infusion.
And, believe us, you haven’t lived until you blend avocado into your chocolate meal-replacement shake. The creamy texture is decadent enough to feel like a cheat day. Plus, the unsaturated fats in avocado help maintain healthy blood sugar already in the normal range.
5. Top Off with These Tips
Here are a few additional ideas to help you achieve your healthy weight goals.
- Bring in the good, skip the bad. Make healthy foods, like whole fruits and vegetables, easily accessible in your household and at work. And remove the worst temptations completely, like sugary sodas and candy bars, which have almost no nutritional value.
- Eat low-glycaemic. Foods full of simple carbohydrates cause your blood sugar to spike, then crash, making you even hungrier than before. Stick with low-glycaemic foods—like those fruits and veggies we talked about—to support satiety.
- Remember, weight isn’t everything. Fat has a greater volume than muscle—a kilogram of muscle will take up less space and look smaller. So don’t obsess over the scale. Instead, focus on how you feel, your energy levels, and your mental well-being.
- Drink water. Your meal-replacement shake won’t check off your recommended eight-plus cups of water per day. Fill up on H20 before meals and throughout the day to soak up the numerous health benefits of hydration.
- Write it down. Keep a nutrition journal or even a holistic health tracker. Over time, you will notice a correlation between what you eat (and when), how you feel, how you sleep, and your level of mental resilience. Food truly affects your whole life.
- Never give up. You only fail if you quit trying. In fact, failure is a completely expected setback. Instead of wallowing in self-pity, take a deep breath and make a plan today to conquer your health goals tomorrow.