Love Cycling? Join This Culinary Cycling Tour of Sardinia Hosted by Chef Mary Sue Milliken
Tourissimo and SHS in Sardinia are thrilled to present a NEW project: a 7-day “Blue Zone” culinary cycling tour of Sardinia hosted by celebrated Chef Mary Sue Milliken.
Guests will experience the culinary specialties of both the coast and the mountains and discover the cultural roots of the island while cycling some of its most scenic and traffic-free roads. Chef Milliken will play an important role in helping guests understand and experience the local cuisine and culinary techniques that tell the story of the territory. Lodging includes 4-star hotels.
The tour is scheduled for May 29-June 5, 2022 and prices start at $4,995 per person double (all meals included) and e-bikes are available upon request. For more information, visit here.
“Many travelers describe Sardinia as being a continent unto itself, with each area and town having diverse landscapes and local traditions,” said Tourissimo co-founder Beppe Salerno.
“Most of the recipes and dishes are surprisingly different from other areas of Italy, such as filindeu, the ‘thread of god,’ a special pasta considered the rarest in the world.”
Sardinia is one of the very few places in the world that boasts “Blue Zone ” designation. This refers to areas across the globe where people live longer and have healthier, more natural lifestyles steeped in traditions that have been carried on from generation to generation. Guests will ride straight through this Blue Zone, discovering its unique historical and cultural aspects while indulging in the authentic food and wine along the way.
“We will learn the secrets of longevity on this culinary cycling adventure,” said Tourissimo co-founder Heather Dowd.
“In Blue Zones, a large number of inhabitants live to be 100 or older, and their way of life, including the food and wine, is a big part of this longevity.”
- Experience regional cuisine not found elsewhere in Italy
- Enjoy a home-cooked lunch in Villasalto hosted by the local tradition keepers
- Lunch with a shepherd in a unique setting
- Explore the Village of Oliena and its wine tradition
- Take in a lecture about Sardinia’s Blue Zone
- Visit the Bronze Age site of Santa Cristina with its unique water temple
- Witness the primordial Gennargentu Mountain Range
- Tour Orgosolo, the painted village, famous for its murals rich with social commentary
- Visit Barbagia and Ogliastra, geographical and cultural areas that are the true soul of Sardinia
- Cycle a fantastic route from Genna Silana Pass
- Take a day fishing cruise along the Marine Protected Area of Capo Carbonara
- Bike in the rural inners island and along the Mediterranean coast
- Visit to the Cittadella dei Musei in the Castello district of Cagliari
“We’re celebrating the Chef Bike Tour concept with this brand-new itinerary in Sardinia, thanks to the Autonomous Region of Sardinia and its ‘Museando in Tour’ project in collaboration with local tourism operators,” said Salerno.
“It’s an honor to have celebrity Chef Mary Sue Milliken for the first time in Sardinia. She’s a champion of sustainable food systems and is deeply interested in exploring different cultures through the lense of food.”
Mary Sue has co-authored five cookbooks, co-starred in nearly 400 episodes of the Food Network’s “Too Hot Tamales.” In 2018, Mary Sue and her friend and business partner Susan Feniger became the first women to receive the Julia Child Award for their contribution to the way America eats and drinks.
Tourissimo have Italy experts and have several decades of combined experience in all facets of the adventure travel industry. We came together to combine our strengths and focus on what we do best: create and operate tour programs that showcase the best of Italy. In addition to offering fixed departures in some of Italy’s most enchanting areas, we work with tour operators, travel agents and group leaders to provide high-quality, intelligently designed and exciting custom itineraries all over the country.