Together At Home: Classic Roasted Chicken Recipe
Hummus Chicks’ Classic Roasted Chicken recipe is deeply nourishing and yields 4-6 servings.
The beauty of this dish is that you can have leftovers to add to sandwiches, soups, and salads. It’s the recipe that keeps on giving.
- 1 roasting chicken
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon Provence
- 1 lemon, halved
- 1 head garlic, cut in half crosswise
- 2 tablespoons (1/4 stick) butter, melted
- 1 large yellow onion, thickly sliced
- 4 carrots cut into 2-inch chunks
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
- Remove the chicken giblets. Rinse the chicken inside and out. Remove any excess fat and leftover pin feathers and pat the outside dry. Liberally salt and pepper the inside of the chicken. Stuff the cavity with 1/2 tablespoon of Provence , both halves of lemon, and all the garlic. Brush the outside of the chicken with the butter and sprinkle again with salt and pepper and the remainder of Provence. Tie the legs together with kitchen string and tuck the wing tips under the body of the chicken. Place the onions, carrots in a roasting pan. Toss with salt, pepper, and olive oil. Spread around the bottom of the roasting pan and place the chicken on top.
- Roast the chicken for 1 1/2 hours, or until the juices run clear when you cut between a leg and thigh. Remove the chicken and vegetables to a platter and cover with aluminum foil for about 20 minutes. Slice the chicken onto a platter and serve it with the vegetables or mashed potatoes.